Berry picking was so rewarding this Summer, as my boys loved filling their mouths while Joe and I lugged buckets of organic berries to freeze for the coming months. These lemony muffins really satisfied my sweet/tart craving and my boys love licking the spoons, so again everyone is happy! Mmmmmm.
Blueberry Lemon Chia Seed Muffins
recipe by Angela at www.happyfitmama.com
• ½ cup coconut oil or butter
• ¼ c coconut sugar or raw cane sugar
• ½ cup Honey
• ¾ cup milk
• 2 Eggs
• 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
• 2 whole Lemons, zested and juiced (organic lemons are better when using peel… plus I find them sweeter!)
• 2 cups spelt flour (all-purpose would probably be fine too)
• 2 teaspoons Baking Powder
• ¼ teaspoon Baking Soda
• 2 tablespoons Chia Seeds
• ½ cup Fresh or Frozen Blueberries
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. In small saucepan melt coconut oil and honey, then transfer to bowl. Mix in milk, eggs and vanilla. Then lemon juice and zest.
3. In separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder and baking soda. Gently mix dry ingredients into wet. Fold in Chia seeds and blueberries till combined. Do not over mix.
4. Spoon batter into greased (coconut oil works great) muffin tins. Fill each ¾ full. Bake 18-20 minutes. Remove from oven to cool.