Recipe adapted from Purely Twins.
Makes 12 mini or one large 8 or 9 inch cake.
A good blender like a viatmix is needed for this. I used my magic bullet and immersion blender, the joint effort got the job done. You will also need a springform or cheesecake pan. A regular cake pan lined with parchment paper could also work. I soak the nuts as it makes them easier to digest, absorb the nutrition, and removes phytic acid (but it’s not necessary 🙂 ).
Pecan chocolate crust:
• 1 cup pecan meal (ground up pecans, but any nut meal may be used)
• 2-3 tbsp maple syrup
• 1/2 cup cocoa powder
• pinch sea salt
• 1 teaspoon vanilla
1. Chop, and grind pecans in blender. Add other ingredients and pulse till combined. You want the crust to slightly stick together.
2. Grab your mini cheesecake pan and scoop your pecan chocolate crust into your pan. Press down with fingers to firmly place the crust into pan.
3. Set aside as you make your filling.
• 2 cups cashew, pieces
• 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted or softened
• 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
• 1 tbsp coconut sugar or honey (optional sweetener)
• 1/2 cup water
• 2 teaspoons vanilla
• 3/4 cup raw cacao powder or cocoa powder
1. Soak cashews so they’re just covered with water in fridge overnight (optional) rinse well. Place cashews into blender with maple syrup, vanilla, and water. Blend for a little bit to get it creamy. I had to add a little extra water and I had to do half at a time, and ended up removing it from the magic bullet to use my immersion blender to get it all blended enough.
2. Next add in your cocao powder and coconut oil. Blend till creamy. You may have to scrape down the sides a few times. Keep blending till it is very smooth.
3. Once chocolate filling is blended begin scooping your filling into your pan. Set the chocolate cream cakes into your freezer to set for a few hours before removing from pan.
• 1/3 cup coconut oil (liquid)
• 1 tsp vanilla
• 3 tbsp honey
• 6 tbsp cocoa powder
Top cake with this sauce and chopped pecans sprinkled on top, and freeze for a couple hours. If frozen for longer, take out for it to soften in fridge for an hour or so before serving.