Delicious mildly spiced soft cookie recipe, adapted from www.mybakingaddiction.com/chai-cookies
Chai Spiced Sugar Cookie Recipe
Never ever used pepper in baking before, but these cookies full of spice with a cup of tea are such a treat! If you use nice fresh spices you will get the best flavour. 🙂
Yield: About 3 dozen cookies
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup almond flour or almond meal (I included this, but using all-purpose is fine)
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cups cane sugar
3/4 cups coconut sugar (or other sugar)
2 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon ground ginger
3/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 teaspoon finely ground black pepper
1 cup unsalted butter, softened
1 large egg
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, sift together flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a medium bowl combine sugar, cinnamon, ginger, cardamom, allspice and black pepper. Remove 1/4 cup of the sugar-spice mixture, set aside to reserve for rolling the cookies.
4. In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment or in a large bowl with an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar-spice mixture until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
5. Beat in egg and vanilla extract, combine until fully incorporated.
6. Slowly blend in dry ingredients mixing until just combined.
7. Using a small scoop (2 teaspoons) roll dough into balls and then into the reserved sugar-spice mixture. Place dough balls on prepared baking sheet about 1 1/2 inches apart.
7. Bake in preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes.
8. Let stand on baking sheet two minutes before removing to cool on wire racks.